Monday, March 8, 2004

Smudging

Smudging is an ancient tribal tradition of purification and cleansing. It has been used for centuries to creat harmony, peace, and facilitate healing and wholeness.

Different tribes have more than one type of ceremony and may use a variety of herbs or prayerful blessings. Smudging is basically the burning of herbs or incense. It is used for cleansing, purification, protection of the physical and spiritual body, banishment of negative energies and creation of a sacred space.

Often the smoke from the burning herbs, or incense, is waved in the four directions and a prayer or blessing spoken aloud.

When there is much confusion in my life, or many things seem to come against my home and break down and pile up unexpected bills, or if I have visitors that tend to leave a feeling of unrest, I will cleanse my house with cinammon or sage.

I burn the sage and go from room to room facing north, south, east and west. I blow or wave the smoke with a feather from the bottom to the top of each direction and the last place I go is to open the door and wave the smoking sage through the opened door and ask all the confusion or choas and bad spirits to leave and peace to envelope my home.

Often when expecting guests I will burn cinammon and cloves which leave a calming influence and welcomes anyone entering my home, and it smells nice too.

CheyFire

No comments: